Rockhopper’s strategy is to explore, appraise, develop and produce its operated and non-operated assets both safely and sustainably. As an oil and gas exploration and production business our role is to produce hydrocarbons in an environmentally responsible manner.
The key elements of this strategy include:
- Maintaining the highest standards of Health, Safety and Environmental protection
- Committing to long-term partnerships with our host governments and communities
- Operating to the highest regulatory and governance standards
The Company fully recognises that the oil and gas industry, alongside other stakeholders such as governments, regulators and consumers, must contribute to reduce the impact of carbon-related emissions on climate change, and is committed to contributing positively towards the drive to net-zero.
Rockhopper is committed to developing Sea Lion on an environmentally sensitive basis. This commitment is expected to be achieved through reduced emissions from the use of best-in-class technologies and the offsetting of emissions through investment in nature-based carbon-offsetting projects both in the Falklands and elsewhere.
An extensive Environmental Impact Statement for the Sea Lion project was completed in 2020 and is available on the Company’s website.
Health, Safety and Environmental protection
Maintaining high standards of Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) protection is achieved through:
- Strong leadership and clearly defined responsibilities and accountabilities for HSE at all levels of the organisation;
- Selection of competent personnel to manage activities;
- Compliance with regulatory and other applicable requirements, or where regulations do not exist, application of industry standards;
- Identifying, assessing and managing HSE risks and preventing pollution;
- Developing specific HSE plans for each operational project;
- Selecting competent contractors and ensuring that they are effectively managed;
- Preparing and testing response plans to ensure that any incident can be quickly and efficiently controlled, reported and investigated to prevent recurrence;
- Continual improvement of HSE performance through monitoring, regular reporting and periodic audits; and
- Periodic management reviews to identify and implement improvements to our HSE systems.