New technologies are emerging on the Internet that help us to deliver customised visitor experiences. In particular, there is a technology called “cookies” which may be used by us to provide you with, for example, customised information from our Site.
1 What is a cookie
A cookie is a small piece of data that a website asks your browser to store on your computer or mobile device. The cookie allows the website to “remember” your actions or preferences over time.
Most browsers support cookies, but users can set their browsers to decline them and can delete them whenever they like.
There are different types of cookies:
A cookie can be classified by its lifespan and the domain to which it belongs. By lifespan, a cookie is either a:
- session cookie which is erased when the user closes the browser or
- persistent cookie which remains on the user’s computer/device for a pre-defined period of time.
As for the domain to which it belongs, there are either:
- first-party cookies which are set by the web server of the visited page and share the same domain
2 Cookies on this website
This website uses strictly necessary, performance or functionality cookies that are exempt from consent according to the EU advisory body on data protection. See EU legislation on cookies on the European Commission website.
Cookies on this website are used as follows:
- To identify your unique session on the website.
- To ensure that you are recognised when you move from page to page within the site.
- To ensure that any information you have entered is remembered.
- To indicate a logged in user.
- To customize a user’s view of the admin interface, and possibly also the main site interface.
- To check whether a user’s web browser is set to allow, or reject cookies.
- To track activities for website security and spam protection.
This website does not use targeting cookies or advertising cookies.
3 Controlling cookies
You can choose to have your computer warn you each time a cookie is being set, or you can choose to turn off all cookies. You do this through your browser settings.
Please note that by deleting our cookies or disabling future cookies you may not be able to access certain areas or features of our site.
The ICO website provides advice on how to set your browsers to control (delete or block) cookies.
Last update: 27 July 2020